About Maejo University :
Founded in June 7, 1934, Maejo University is considered as the oldest agricultural institution in the country. It was first established as the Northern Agricultural Teachers Training School under the Ministry of Education and was later transferred under the Ministry of Agriculture to become the Kasetsart Preparatory School. After a year, it was officially installed as Maejo Agricultural School to serve as a research station of Kasetsart University (KU), a state university in Bangkok. It began to accept M.6 (Grade 12) students who, upon finishing at Maejo, were automatically admitted to KU for a 4-year degree program.
In 1956, Maejo was renamed Chiang Mai College of Agriculture, making it the first certificate-granting agricultural college under the Ministry of Education. Its graduates became secondary school teachers in agriculture.
In 1975, Maejo was royally confirmed as one of the state universities under the Ministry of University Affairs and was called the Institute of Agricultural Technology. With this status, it began to accept students from vocational schools to register into its 2-year programs (associate degrees) and, students from the secondary schools to its 4-year degree programs. This move was aimed to give all vocational school graduates greater opportunity to attain higher education in agriculture. It is for this reason that February the 19th is celebrated as Maejo's Foundation Day.
In 1980, the institute’s name was modified into Maejo Institute of Agricultural Technology upon the request of its alumni. However, due to its rapid development, it was elevated into a full university status, both in title and in essence on November 12, 1996. It was given the name Maejo University which was immediately approved by the national parliament.
Under the Ministry of Education, Maejo University is a degree-granting institute that attempts to educate students in practical agriculture, aiming to prepare them for agricultural pursuits. MJU strives to nurture and develop its graduates to become technically competent besides being culturally and scholarly matured thereby, able to contribute to the future of the country.
At present, Maejo University belongs to the Commission on Higher Education of the Ministry of Education.
Philosophy - Vision - Mission
Development of knowledge through theoretical and practical education to produce graduates who are equipped with skills, thirst for knowledge, zeal for work, ability to conceive with leadership qualities including moral integrity and ethics.
Development focus towards the university as a foremost international institution of academic excellence in the region and to become a learning center for all people with self-reliance and dependence of Thai society.
1. To produce knowledgeable graduates with academic and vocational capabilities to withstand changes, but with emphasis in agriculture, applied science and other related fields of study in accordance with the needs of the society and the labor market.
2. To create innovations and development of knowledge in various fields of study particularly in agriculture and applied science for learning and technology transfer to the society.
3. To focus on the expansion of educational opportunities to under-privileged people.
4. To emphasize on the widening of academic services at the regional and international levels.
5. To develop the university as an institution with social reliability and that can lead the community and the locality towards prosperity.
6. To preserve the cultural identity of the country while striving to conserve natural resources.
7. To build an administrative system that endeavors to attain management efficiency, effectiveness and transparency.
Information by : Maejo University - http://www.mju.ac.th